Ok, so I didn't fall off the stage. YEA! It was kinda scary, though, and it felt really high but I did it! I'll do anything for my fans, right? Yesterday's class at the Y was even fuller. I had 65-70 people in that gym so it's a good thing we were in the big gym. Tonight I'll be in the same room as last week so I'm worried that 70 people will show up and the fire marshall will shut us down or something...always worrying...
Yesterday Caleb went out to play in the backyard and told me there was an injured bird lying in the grass. I went out and sure enough, there was a baby bird sitting there. (No, it wasn't our crazy robin)! Anyway, one of it's wings looked all bloody and the other wing was twisted at a grotesque angle and obviously broken. Caleb said a little prayer for it and started digging up worms and tried, unsuccessfully, to feed it. Despite having pms at the moment, it was ALL I could do not to cry as my 8 yr. old sat there dangling a wriggly worm in front of the poor baby bird saying, "come on little bird, you can do it" over and over. I tried to inform Caleb, as gently as possible, that there was no way this bird was going to live and there was absolutely nothing we could do to help it. AND that, in fact, it may be in a lot of pain and would be a blessing for it to die soon. Caleb then suggested stomping on it with his foot (OH MY) but I said that was probably not a good idea. So then he suggested making it as comfortable as possible by covering it with old rags to help it stay warm. (It appeared to be shivering). So we did this and over the course of the evening Caleb was convinced that the bird was feeling better and was actually on the mend!
Anyway, when I went to bed last night at 10pm I got a great idea that Dave should go out and get the baby bird, kill it, dispose of it, and in the morning when Caleb finds it gone, he will think that it got better and flew away! Dave, who was comfortably settled into bed, under the warm covers, in his pajamas, etc. did not share my feelings that this was a great idea. We both thought it was very likely that an animal would come by and eat it anyway, hopefully leaving no traces behind and Caleb would, again, think the bird flew away. SO, what actually happened was that Caleb got up, went out, found the bird was dead, dug a hole for it and buried it...all while I was still sound asleep in bed. I guess he is more mature than I give him credit for? Sam, always germ conscious, hounded Caleb afterwards to make sure he washed his hands thoroughly, at least twice. Caleb even put a big rock over the grave so an animal couldn't dig it up and carved R.I.P. on it. Ahhh, the circle of life continues...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sorry about your bird...I think. I want to start a blog! I think it would be great...maybe Marci will help me figure it out. She said she has been reading and enjoying your blog and said it was nice to get to know you better...she only has a couple of memories of you guys.
We are in Canada (Toronto) and it is a big, dirty, jam-packed city. We have had a couple of great runs near the lakeside...but getting back to the hotel is interesting with stop lights and pedestrians. Today we are headed over to see Niagara Falls...I am really excited! Kris
What a sweet boy! It's kind of nice when our kids surprise us with their resilience, isn't it?
Post a Comment