Hello! Well, I have so much to write; I'm just going to have to take it one step at a time and start with last week. But first, before I forget, our crazy robin came back to visit last week! One morning, there he was, flying stupidly into the window over and over. I was so happy to see him! My long lost friend! I guess he'll stop by periodically to remind me how annoying he can be.
Afterschool each day, instead of actually picking the kids up at school I just meet them at the school playground and they play for quite awhile. One day last week, I FINALLY remembered to bring their kites. It was sunny and very windy so I thought it would be a perfect day. There is a very large, empty field adjacent to the playground so it was perfect. Anyway, poor Caleb had the first kite up for maybe 2 minutes (while I was assembling the 2nd kite) when I heard thunder in the distance. I told him to reel it in; naturally he complained that it was sunny and no need to worry but I told him to bring it back anyway. The storm came in fast and furious. As soon as I had loaded up the kids, it started sprinkling and by the time we were out of the parking lot, it was pouring buckets. (By the way, did I mention my windshield wipers don't work)?! We don't live too far from the school but the street was blocked by a downed tree...already! I then went an alternate route to find some powerlines down on the road. They were flailing about like a fish out of water, spewing sparks and fire all over the place! I did a u-turn and found a road block set up on the only other street I could use to get home. Now I was starting to get a little annoyed, especially since I knew ALL the windows were open in our house AND my guitar was sitting, exposed, on the floor right next to a window...not in its case, of course. I finally drove up on a sidewalk to get around the roadblock (when the cop wasn't watching) and made it home. Luckily, earlier in the day Peter had taken my guitar to another room to play with it (which is actually against the rules) so it wasn't wet afterall. Good thing, because the floor where the guitar HAD been was absolutely soaked!
So, I know this isn't the most exciting story, but it's just an example of an average day for me. I think I'm a fun, spontaneous mom to bring the kids' kites...they happily start flying them in a large, open field, only to find a severe storm will arrive in 2 minutes. Hey, at least I didn't give them a metal key to tie to their kite string!
p.s. We were without power for 4 hours, but luckily it came back on before dark.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey Shel, just a note to let you know that my girlas love your posts!! I just read to them all of the ones that talked about the boys and their crazy encounters with animals and insects and they loved it!! love ya, steph, aspen, ainsley, and andyn!!
Also... I was changing the banner on my new phone (your old one - thank you)because it said 'Shelley Capener' and I had just read your posts about the bird so I changed it to 'you crazy bird' and then Geoff got a hold of my phone and changed 'bird'to turd! RUDE!!
You have the most eventful funny things happen to you in your "ordinary days of just being a mom!"
Post a Comment