Thursday, May 24, 2007

Field Day!

Today the kids had Field Day at school. When I was a kid, I always looked forward to this day with great excitement and anticipation. It was always SO much fun. I ALWAYS won the blue ribbon for the hoolahoop contest. I kicked b*tt at hoolahoop! I was quite good at the high jump, too; I think because I've always been freakishly limber and I could jump up and somehow use that to my advantage to contort my body over the bar without knocking it down.

ANYWAY, enough about ME. The kids had a really good time and we enjoyed our warmest day so far...87 degrees! Peter was stuck hanging out with me most of the time as I was signed up to man one of the water stations. I gave him the camera now and then so he could amuse himself. He's getting pretty good at it and it's funny to see the world from a 5-yr. old's perspective. For example, the picture of the garbage can full of cups. He took that all by himself. I didn't crop it or anything. Maybe I'm partial, but I think it could be displayed in the Smithsonian Museum of Modern Art. WHICH, by the way, I visited last weekend. I'd love to tell you all about it but am waiting for Christy to figure out how to send me pictures online. Please e-mail her and tell her to get with the program: queenie95@cox.net

Ok, two funny kid stories. 1)Caleb has accumulated about 20 fuzzy caterpillars in one jar that he keeps in his room. He feeds them LOTS of leaves each day and insists that he will raise them to butterflies. I don't doubt this for a second because he has actually done it before. Yesterday, at the school playground, he enjoyed himself immensely by carrying around a couple fuzzy caterpillars (named Frankie and Mike) and he would place them on his cheeks and go up to girls and make them squeal. Sometimes he would also pretend to put them in his mouth but WOULD actually put them halfway in his mouth. Even the boys squealed at this.
I don't really like having them in the house but it seems they can't crawl out of the jar and I'm getting over the fact that when they squirm around they look like a bunch of furry tarantula legs creeping up the glass.
2)The other day, Peter and I were driving down the street and we passed an elderly lady walking along the sidewalk. She had short, fuzzy, poodle-ish white hair, big glasses; she was wearing BRIGHT yellow pants and her shirt was BRIGHT purple with huge white polka dots. As we passed, Peter did a quick double-take at her and exclaimed, "Mom! Look! A clown, a clown!" I bursted out laughing and, again, wished I had my camera. All she needed was big, red floppy shoes. Poor lady; someone needs to send her into that show "What Not To Wear".


Posted by Picasa

No comments: