OK, so I keep waiting for the perfect moment to sit down and blog all the different little things that occur each day and just realized that that's never going to happen and I'm just going to have to sit down and do the best I can! So, none of the following is in any particular order and most of it in doesn't flow together at all but here goes:
Last weekend we took the kids to the Bronx zoo again. I mentioned once before how big and beautiful and nice it is. Even one of the kids said it's like being in a zoo within a forest. (Who knew NYC had forests)?!? Unfortunately it rained on us (the weatherman said it would rain in the p.m. I didn't realize he meant anytime after noon. I thought he meant at night)so that put a damper on us. Nevertheless we persevered albeit because of the downpour we had to spend WAY too much time in the Mouse House. The kids enjoyed watching the kangaroo rat jump up and down repeatedly. I enjoyed watching it from a good distance...don't like rodents. I like them even less than visiting the Reptile House.
I've noticed that when we take the kids to all these cool places they complain a lot. Maybe I've raised homebodies because they just want to be at home all the time. Even Caleb, who needs to be busy busy busy, often complains that he wants to go home. When we were at the zoo, I was talking to Dave about how as a kid, I loved to go to the zoo. It was a special treat. I remember even enjoying it as a teenager just for something 'different' to do. Dave thinks maybe it's 'cause we (he and I) watched a LOT of t.v. as kids so when we got to go out, it was exciting. We really try to limit how much our kids watch t.v. so sometimes it seems that's all they want to do and don't appreciate when we take them somewhere. (I think; that's our current theory anyway).
Here's another analogy: I limit my kids to one treat per day. That is, one item containing sugar. Whether it's a cookie, lollipop, tootsie roll or whatever, they only get one a day. And they only get ice-cream on Sundays, unless something special is going on. Other moms here, I've noticed, give their kids whatever they want, whenever they want. I'm the ONLY mom at the public pool who brings just crackers, pretzels, and fruit for snacks. I used to not bring ANY snacks but then my kids were mooching snacks off of other moms. The other moms bring Doritos, Cheetos, Oreos, Chips Ahoy, you name it. And their kids, seriously, have unlimited access to these items.
Okay, so on Saturday, my kids were invited to a birthday party at a place called the "sportsdome". It was an all-boy sports themed birthday party where they had organized games of soccer, baseball, dodge ball, etc. Then they took a break to have pizza and ice-cream cake. So they bring out the ice-cream cake, sing happy birthday, blow out the candles, etc. While the cake is being cut up, ALL the kids (except mine) run back onto the field to play dodge ball. The cake is being served and none of the other kids WANT any. They just want to play ball and never came back to the table to eat...not even the birthday boy! EXCEPT for my kids. So there's my 3 boys sitting at this huge table scarfing down ice-cream cake because heaven knows when they're going to get any again in the future. Could be a whole week before they get ice-cream again. I asked them if they wanted to go out and play with the other kids but, no, the treat was way more important to them. (I had some myself and it was delicious)!
I told Dave, the other kids get that stuff all the time so maybe it's not such a big deal to them. I feel like by limiting them I've made them want it even more because it is "forbidden". Sigh...parenting, so so easy...
I have a new hobby. It's called tie-dyeing! When the kids had a school arts festival a few months ago, they got to make their own tie dye shirt and I brought a Zumba shirt and tie dyed it. It was fun and, I think, looks really good. I also did a bandanna and love it. I wear it in my hair every chance I get. SO, I just ordered and received all my professional tie dyeing paraphernalia and did 6 bandannas and 3 shirts this morning. They are still setting out to dry so I don't know how they came out yet. Keep your fingers crossed! If they worked great I'll post a picture so you can all be jealous of my new hobby. Maybe, just maybe, you'll get a tie dye shirt for Christmas! Lucky you!
However, here's few things I learned this morning:
1. tie-dyeing is messy
2. no matter how careful you are, tie-dyeing is messy
3. because tie-dyeing is messy and we are renting our house, I should do EVERYTHING in the backyard, far far away from the house.
4. tie-dye ink is permanent; it will NOT come out
5. when purple tie-dye ink spills ALL over your right hand, your right hand WILL be stained purple indefinitely; you cannot wash it off...especially off your fingernails
One more random thing:
I commented to the kids the other day how they are starting to make some friends here in NJ. Peter (age 5)replied, "Yeah, I've made about 50 friends already; but that's just a ballpark figure".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Shel
I love to see that you are getting used to New Jersey and getting out and about! You are a much better mom at getting out of the house - maybe once my youngest is 5 I'll get out more! But then my oldest will be a teenager! Thanks for sharing your life's moments - I enjoy reading them and it makes me realize I'm not the only one...
Christy
Post a Comment