Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Walking to work through NYC

I've already mentioned some of the things/people Dave sees on his daily walk to and from the bus station and Rockefeller Plaza. Now, as he walks through Times Square and Broadway, he gets to see picketing stagehands. I'm not sure what the strike is all about...I'm sure there's a good reason but I feel bad for all the people who traveled long distances with tickets to a great Broadway show.
Today, Dave also saw throngs of people outside the Hilton as Alicia Keys was coming out of the hotel and getting into her SUV. He said it was unbelievable how many people were standing out there just waiting for her to walk out and then how they all crowded all over the SUV, taking pictures and shouting to her, etc. Sounds scary to me...
But the scariest part of Dave's walk to work is the elevator ride in his building. Well, not the ride itself; it's the getting on and off the elevator that's scary. The elevator doors are, in Dave's words, "brutal". I remember when I was there thinking that the doors were really heavy and not very user friendly. If they are closing, you'd better put your tail between your legs and run as fast as you can because unless you're waving an unwanted limb in just the right spot to catch the door's eye, those doors will NOT stop closing! Just recently, one of Dave's coworkers got hit in the head by those stupid elevator doors. She ended up, no joking, in the hospital with a concussion! Sounds like a law suit waiting to happen...
Once you're on the elevator, the ride is most pleasant. They have these little flat screen t.v.'s that tell you the weather, stock market, and many useful tidbits like stores raking in $8,000,000,000 last year in unused gift cards. (See post below). And then you can start many a conversion with the phrase, "Hey, today I read that...(fill in blank here)" and it looks and sounds like you've been reading the NY Times or something. Very classy...
Then, once you've reached your floor, you'd better not be distracted by the t.v.'s because you've got to jump out quick before you receive the next concussion!

2 comments:

Jordan and Elaine's Family said...

I should send Jordan out to fix that elevator for you!

Aemilia said...

Duran Duran had to Cancel the last three of 11 Broadway shows and then move the last two shows from one venue to another because of the strike. The people attending the Saturday night show had to attend Monday or Tuesday's shows or send their tickets back for a refund. I chose not to go this time. Maybe wise...
Maybe people should strike instead for the elevator to be fixed. :-)