Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Gift Card Dilemma

To FINALLY finish up my yoga certification, I needed to do 8 hours of yoga "community service". To make a long story short, I've been teaching yoga at the kid's school (for free) to a small group of teachers during their lunch hour. They are so nice and seem to really enjoy taking time out in the middle of the day to relax and stretch, etc. (One teacher is Caleb's current 3rd grade teacher so we get to put our heads together about him now and then, too...much to Caleb's horror).
ANYWAY, today was our last day together and they gave me a card and a gift certificate to the local mall. It was totally unexpected; I didn't expect anything from them at all. So, now my struggle is this: do I spend the gift card on myself on something completely frivolous or do I do what I normally do and spend it on something that I, or we as a family NEED and would have to buy anyway, i.e. saving me some money.(?) OR, option 3, spend it on the kid's or Dave's Christmas present, again, saving myself some money.
You have ONE week to vote!
p.s. Dave read today that last year, there was $8 billion in unused gift cards. That's 8 BILLION, people! And all that money just goes to the store(s) and pure profit. Who's not spending their gift cards? Not me, man, I spend every penny and then some.

5 comments:

Jordan and Elaine's Family said...

I think you should buy yourself something. You deserve it!

Anonymous said...

I agree! When you get something unexpected like that, you should treat yourself. What do you think those teachers would want you to do with it? You did something nice for them and they wanted to do something nice for YOU. As mothers, I think we are always thinking of our family first, but every once in a blue moon we need to reward ourselves for a job well done (aka not killing them).

Aemilia said...

You are always doing such nice things for your family and other people. And, I agree with Nichole...the card was purchased with you in mind.
So, it looks like 3 votes for spending the card on yourself. :-) 3 out of 3 so far. I see a trend...

Julie said...

Make that four!

amberd. said...

I think you should spend it on me! Hahahahahaha!