Saturday, February 23, 2008

Snow Day!

After almost NO snow all winter so far, we woke up to this yesterday morning. The kids already had the whole week off of school for "winter break" so they got to enjoy the snow instead of staring at it from their classroom windows.
I was just about to remove my snowman themed decor from the mailbox and front door since it looked oddly out of place in a winter with no snow. Luckily yesterday's storm saved me from having to do that yet.
Last weekend was a balmy 50 degrees so we actually barbecued in the back yard! Guess we should've put the grill away.
Anyway, it was perfect snow. Perfect for shoveling (not too heavy), perfect for snowballs, snowmen, sledding, you name it. I think we eventually got around 8 inches. The best part is that I had the whole day off and didn't HAVE to go out in it. (Driving, I mean).
I did venture out to take the kids sledding. There's a great sledding hill at the local high school. We had to drive there but by then the roads were cleared. The kids had a BLAST and it was fun to watch them almost kill themselves over and over. I have become much less adventurous post-knee-surgery, but I did go down once. The hill didn't look that big until I was going down, backwards, and I accidentally let out an involuntary squeal and squeezed my eyes shut most of the way down. I didn't want to look like such a wimp, compared to all the little kids, but I definitely fit the part.
They want to go again today, but I think I'll put a time limit on it this time. We were there for over TWO HOURS yesterday and I was frozen solid by then. I don't understand how the kids were impervious to the cold, especially when their snowsuits became soaking wet! Here's a short video clip; I had to take off my gloves to use the camera, so naturally I didn't use the camera much!

The order of sledders: Peter, Caleb, then Sam.

2 comments:

Organized Chaos said...

Hi

We have not yet had a day with snow on the ground. The kids are pretty much done sledding. They venture out every once in a while. Hybrid scrapbooking is when you use both digital and traditional scrapbooking together. It is nicer because you can print things cut them and still have texture. Anyway just thought I would share.

jess

Steph said...

You're so luckeee.... not!!