Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The morning the sky fell in NYC


So, we had a rainstorm last night. I was vaguely aware of it while I slept. I heard REALLY loud thunder once but other than that I forgot all about it. It is sunny and hot today and we're headed to the pool now. Anyway, I happened to look in the backyard just now and noticed a plastic tub/bucket that I use for tie dye and had left outside. By the shadow of water inside, I could see even from the house that it had a lot of water in it. I asked the kids if they had used the hose and put any water in it but they said no. I went outside to take a look, and sure enough it is at least 2 1/2 inches deep with rain water. I thought to myself, wow, that's a lot of water for one rainstorm so I went inside to pull up the news on the internet. Imagine my surpirse at the national headline that says, "The Morning the Sky Fell in NYC", followed by smaller headlines:
Flooding Causes Major Transit Meltdown...
Flight delays, subway soaked...
Rainstorm Cripples Gotham...
Possible Tornado in Brooklyn...
'Cab line 1000 people deep at Penn station'...
Fights Breakout at overcrowded bus stops...

I think I'd better call Dave and see how his morning commute went. Then I'm off to the pool!!!

No comments: