One day last week, when the kids were getting ready for school in the morning, we heard lots of sirens outside. We don't live on a busy street but we live close enough to a busy street to hear the sirens. Anyway, we heard them a lot and then I heard helicopters and such. I said to the kids, "Hey, maybe your school is burning down." To which they replied a resounding, "HURRAY!"
Half an hour later we pull up to the school to find a bunch of firetrucks parked outside! Oops!?! Did I say that?
Turns out it was a false alarm. The school had experienced some kind of electrical power surge which tripped an alarm in one building. Luckily, the kids could still go to school!
The funny part, I think, is seeing the actual firemen. Here, we have a very small number of full-time employed firemen. The rest are volunteer. So it's not unusual to see a fireman standing there with the firehat, big coat and boots on over a t-shirt and shorts.
When there is a fire, they "call" the volunteer firemen by sounding a siren. To me, it sounds JUST like a tornado siren. When we first got here, the whole first month I thought to myself, wow, there are a lot of tornadoes here in New Jersey, especially for a clear day in January. I didn't understand it at all until I finally asked around and was told it was the siren to call the volunteer firemen. It's fairly typical around here. Hopefully we are in good hands...?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You're SO funny!! How many times are you going to change templates!!
Post a Comment