Sunday, June 3, 2007

NY aquarium & Coney Island

This weekend we went to the New York Aquarium. It is in Brooklyn, right next to Coney Island. This means we have to drive to and through Manhattan all the way downtown and then take a tunnel to Brooklyn (on the other side of Manhattan), drive around the edge of Brooklyn (which is a part of Long Island) to the south side where the aquarium is. The down side is that you have to pay to use the darn tunnel--both ways--and, of course pay to cross the bridge to Manhattan in the first place. It cost us $15 just in bridge and tunnel fees. I swear they are making a KILLING off of us.
ANYWAY, the aquarium was pretty nice. It had all the usual stuff, plus also sea otters, penguins, sea lions, 2 enormous walruses, etc. We had a really good time, until it started raining. (You have to walk from building to building to see the different exhibits). And, we had missed a show---you know, the kind where they have the sea lions do tricks for fish, etc.--that looked like a lot of fun and were waiting around 'til the next show at 4pm, which was then rained out. Oh well, maybe next time.

Afterwards, we walked out onto the boardwalk that has Coney Island literally right next door. We didn't visit Coney Island at all; we've not heard anything really good about it. The rides looked suspiciously unsafe to me, and I was trying to keep myself away from the funnel cakes anyway.
Anyway, the kids just wanted to run around along the beach, despite the rain. I just need to remember to check their pockets for seashells, etc.!
I don't think I've ever been anywhere that has a huge boardwalk like that with amusements, etc., and then a beach right there. I think it's a pretty good set up. You can spend a day at the beach, walk up onto the boardwalk and buy some refreshments when you want, ride some rides, puke, whatever. Sounds like fun! There are public restrooms, too...though I didn't dare go into one!
IF you want to see pictures of our day, click here:
2007_06_03

1 comment:

Cindi M said...

I'm assuming this trip didn't bore the boys out of their minds like your past trips. I always catch myself saying or thinking things like, "So this is your thanks? Your parents do (x, y, or z) and this is how you say thank you?" I know, I know, I'm still WAY too sarcastic!!