Thursday, January 17, 2008

Long time, no post

I haven't forgotten about y'all, I just haven't had anything exciting to write about...what could top meeting Caiba and having my picture taken with him!
So really, I have nothing interesting to say so I will tell you what I just had for lunch. I had buffalo hot wings and melba toast. Weird combination, you say? The hot wings were in my freezer and I just wanted them so I threw a handful in the toaster oven (I love that thing!) but I always want something crunchy with my lunch so I grabbed a packet of melba toast that we previously stole from the last restaurant we visited. I washed it all down with some pretzels, Hershey kisses and M&M's. I know, weird again.
Here's what I do: you take the pretzels (they have to be small waffle shaped pretzels) and spread them on a cookie sheet. Then you unwrap the kisses and place one on top of each pretzel square. Stick 'em in the oven at low heat for just a few minutes to make the kisses soften up. After you take them out, plop an M&M on top of the kiss and squish it down a little bit. You can wait 'til they cool or just throw them in your mouth like me. If I hadn't eaten them all, I'd take a picture and post it for ya. This is something I make after a holiday when they are clearancing out the holiday kisses and M&Ms. Yesterday I bought Christmas M&M's and kisses for like 52 cents per big package. Luckily the pretzels were on sale, too! It's a great activity to do with the kids but then you have to share...
See, aren't you so glad you tuned in for this post?!?
We've been having trouble getting the kids down for bed at night. The other night Peter kept coming out, etc. I told him to lay down, close his eyes and count to 300. I promised him that he would be in Dreamland by the time he finished. (Unfortunately, though, instead of Dreamland the word that came out of my mouth was "Fantasyland"). Anyway, I guess Peter was really looking forward to visiting this place called Fantasyland so he got right to work. TWO minutes later he came back out and was VERY upset. He was in tears and told me that I was a big fat liar AND that I was a grown up. (Apparently grown ups are not supposed to be big fat liars). He was quite distraught so I asked him if he counted to 300. (How could a 6 yr. old count to 300 in less than 2 minutes)? He assured me that yes, he had counted to 300 and again, I am a big fat liar. I told him, "Oops, did I say 300? I meant to say 3,000!" So I told him to go back to bed and close his eyes and try counting to three thousand and surely it would work this time.
FIVE minutes later he comes back, all in tears again. He is really upset now that his mom, who is a grown up, is still a big fat liar. I asked him if he had counted to three thousand. He said yes and I said it's been less than 5 minutes so really, who's the big fat liar here? He was still so upset with me but somehow got himself to sleep after this. A few minutes later, Sam knocks on my door and comes in. He's overheard this whole thing and tells me he counted to 300 and it didn't work. I told him to continue to 3,000 and GO TO BED!
My kids are SO tired in the morning; I have to drag them out of bed and they tell me how they're too tired to get up, so why can't they just fall right to sleep at night?! I fall asleep almost as soon as my head hits the pillow. And why are they only tired on weekday mornings? Why do I have to DRAG them out of bed on weekdays but on weekENDS, they pop right up at 7am?!!!
Ironically, I'm off to take a nap now and let those hot wings settle...so don't anyone call and wake me up or I'll make you count to 3,000!

6 comments:

Steph said...

how funny that i called you right then!!

Cindi M said...

That whole sleep thing...ugh. We have lots of issues here too.

I'm so mad that I just got back from the store and can't make that yummy sounding chocolate concoction. I'll keep it it mind though.

Heidi said...

Love the pretzels, kisses and M&M's...it is the only way that I eat pretzels. Plain pretzels are so yuck!

Deanne said...

Love those pretzel things too. Using Roll-o's instead of kisses is a great combo as well. =)

amberd. said...

Your kids are so funny. It makes me giggle to read such funny stuff. I send my kids to bed at 7:30 so that they are sure to fall asleep between 8:30 and 9:00! I'm with you...how can they not be completely exhausted? =)

Kris said...

I have a friend who introduced me to those chocolate confections and she calls them "belly buttons". Love the name and the treat!