Sunday, December 9, 2007

Happy Birthday Peter!

Peter turned SIX today. He woke me up bright and early, standing over my sleeping body and staring me down until I cracked one eye open.
"Can I open just one present now?", he asked.
"No, not yet," I mumbled back in my breathy morning voice.
Then he started whispering threats of what he was going to do if I didn't let him open one present right now so I answered back with a few more threats of my own...something to do with taking presents back to the store, I think. I was still half asleep so it's all a little fuzzy. It was kinda funny, though, because the whole time we were issuing threats to each other we were still whispering; as if we needed to stay quiet in orderto what (?) not wake me up?!?

His party was at 12:30. He pestered me endlessly from 9am to 12:30; asking me when the party would start, when his friends would arrive, and of course, when would he get to open his presents! Why don't we just schedule their birthday parties to start at 9am to avoid all this aggravation!

As you may know, it was a "dog" themed party. We had pizza and hot dogs and I put Cracklin' Oat Bran and Reese's Puffs cereal in a dog bowl to snack on. I have to say, it's scary how much these cereals look like dog food. Cracklin' Oat Bran just happens to be Dave's favorite cereal but I almost never ever ever buy it because it's ridiculously expensive and it looks just like dog food!

We also constructed a dog house out of cardboard boxes and let the kids "decorate" it with markers while we waited for all the guests to arrive. Luckily, we only had 4 guests. 3 of them were girls and let me tell you, I am not used to having a bunch of girls around. They were so bossy and catty with each other; the drama was too much for me! I agree with most that boys are definitely much easier!

I'd like to say that I'm blogging about Peter's birthday in order to remember the fond memories and record it for posterity. Mostly, though, I just want to brag and show off the cake I made! I am SO proud of myself with this cake. It looks just like the picture that I copied it from. This cake is the whole reason for the dog theme; Peter picked it out and had his heart set on it. I was not excited about having to make it...I was thinking we could just do a plain cake and stick some plastic dogs on top or something. I've been getting away with stuff like that for years! Anyway, despite the hard work, it looked great and he was really happy with it. I think Sam and Caleb were a little jealous. I'm not sure they remember me doing cakes like this when they were little. I'll have to pull out the pictures to prove it, I guess. All the remember right now is the aforementioned plain cakes with plastic objects stuck on top! The only funky thing about the cake, though, was that I unknowingly purchased "magic" relighting candles that you can't blow out. It turned out to be hilarious, except for the sparks flying around as Peter blew harder and harder as I kept insisting that they were regular candles.
Dave and I are exhausted but Peter and his friends had a great time and we don't have to do it again for another whole year! Here's a video of the birthday song and candle fiasco.

4 comments:

Cindi M said...

That must have taken a long time. That cake is HUGE! Good job. That's really funny how much that cereal DOES look like dog food. We miss Peter around here. Elijah loved him. Happy Birthday Peter!

Steph said...

#1 about the girls: welcome to my insane life (poor Asher)

#2 I like how dangerously close Dave was holding those candles to the butane lighter!!!

oh yeah - good job on the cake. (you wanna be just like me! :)

Anonymous said...

You have skilz!!

kimhumpherys said...

good job with the cake! And yes that cereal is a bit scary!