Monday, November 2, 2009

Happy Halloween!



OK, so I'm skipping from July to Halloween. Whatever. It's not like any of you PAY me to blog. So here is Peter as a storm trooper (NOT to be confused with a clone trooper). Caleb is a carnivorous plant and Sam is a Jawa (also from Star Wars). Don't be fooled by the simplicity of Sam's costume. It is homemade and that dang mask was a lot of work. I finally deferred to Dave on the electric parts. Caleb's costume involved a lot of paper maiche and if I NEVER have to do paper maiche for as long as I live, it will be TOO soon.
I originally tried to get Peter to settle for being a clone trooper since we already own that costume but it was very important to him to be a storm trooper. And as I was up to my elbows in paper maiche and black masks, I was only too happy to shell out the $30 for his costume. Although, in all fairness, Caleb did do a lot of the labor on his headpiece.
Halloween was kinda rainy so it dampened our day a little...not a good combination with paper maiche. People here started trick or treating early. I think the first one was at like 1pm! (I think to partially beat the rain and to finish in time so as not to miss the Yankee game. Apparently the Yankees are playing in something called the "world series." I'll figure that out after I sort out the clone trooper/storm trooper conundrum ). So many kids followed suit; it was hard for them to just sit around and wait til it got late enough to go out so we finally let ours out around 3pm. They hit some houses and then came back to "take a break" because they were thirsty. After awhile, I figured out that "take a break" means come inside and start eating all the candy. Then they went out and got some more. Nice strategy.



4 comments:

Steph said...

I think these costumes are fantastic!! Awesome job on the homemade ones and good for you for taking one for the team on Peter's!

Heidi said...

Wow, you get Mom of the year for the costumes!

Melissa Bean Sterzick said...

Just wanted you to know I am still reading! Melissa

Kris said...

Welcome back!!!! I have missed your blog. I will give you 10 cents a blog if you will keep writing. You can collect it when you come out here for a visit! LOved the costumes...way cute and way creative. Better than an extra large bee created with duck tape and a yellow rain coat.