Sunday, March 8, 2009

Homework time

One of the many daily struggles we have here is getting everyone to do their homework. Believe it or not, Caleb (10) is the only one who's very responsible in this aspect. He hates doing it but knows that the sooner it gets done, the sooner the good times begin! So he generally knocks it out almost as soon as he gets home.
Sam, 12, likes to put his off 'til about 11pm. OK, that's a little bit of an exaggeration but it's not far from the truth. He's had many nights where he's up doing homework long after Dave and I have gone to bed. I really have no idea how late he stays up but we're trying to get that under control.
Peter, ugh, his 1st grade homework is fairly easy but he just HATES having to do it. One day I practically had to nail his back end to the chair to get him to do it. I finally told him he could not leave the chair until it was done. So then this is what I found:

Yeah, this is working out well, don'tcha think? He's being VERY productive now that I've confined him to the dining room chair.

Reminds me a lot of this time.

And notice Caleb consternating over his homework. Good times.

And please do NOT notice the holes in Peter's socks. I would never, ever let my kids wear holey socks. Ever. It couldn't possibly ever happen.

3 comments:

Steph said...

I'm not at all surprised by this post! We have similar issues in our house. What I am surprised about is that Peter is hanging off the ends of the chair!!! Crazy!! I can't believe that he's a big kid now!

Kris said...

Oh I love it!! That kid has come up with some creative solutions to combat stress. Is that a NEW table??

amberd. said...

hahaha! That's hilarious! My kids get all their homework done at school! I love it because I never have to fight them to do it. Occsionally when Syd or Libby brings it home...they walk in the door and let me know they have it, then they do it. Blows my mind! I dont think I taught them that! They just think they HAVE to do it that way. It rocks. Their teachers tell me they both use class time wisely and that's why it rarely comes home. Dang...I lucked out I think.