Friday, January 16, 2009

Peter likes Parrots


















Peter is really "into" parrots at the moment. He really wants one for a pet. Unfortunately, he needs to save at least $600 for one, so it may be awhile. We are not allowed to have pets in our rented house but I told him that as soon as he's saved up to $600, we'll start looking for our own house to buy.

Anyway, he just brought home a few books about parrots from the town library. He's reading them diligently. He just came to me a few minutes go...very upset. He told me he was not feeling well. I asked why and he said it was because of one of his library books. I asked which one. Then, as his voice broke and his chin quivered he said, "The one called Gone Forever: The Lost Parrots of America". Oh.

He then burst into tears and quiet sobbing as he lamented over the parrots of America that are now extinct. I asked to see the book and read a quick passage on one of the first pages. It has a lovely picture of the Carolina Parakeet. The passage reads:

One parrot that lived in North America was called the Carolina Parakeet. Parakeets are a species of small parrots with slender tails. The Carolina Parakeet, sadly, is now extinct. It is gone forever. [I think here when you read the word "forever", it is supposed to have a weird echoing afterwards: forEVER ...ever....ever].

Oh man, he has such a tender heart. What's gonna happen when some stupid girl in middle school gives him the brush-off?!

4 comments:

Julie said...

You think it won't happen until Middle School? Maybe the girls are "faster" in Michigan. Sean thinks he's met his true love already!

Kris said...

Hmmmm...what about those pet snails? I hope your landlord doesn't find out or you could be on the streets!!!!

Organized Chaos said...

What a sensitive kid. Very cute! They grow up so fast or not fast enough, but you will always remember these times.

Steph said...

you should let him 'babysit' one and when it craps on his head... he'll change his mind!