So that you won't have to spend your holiday weekend wondering incessantly about what's in the package from China, I will tell you now. They are duck feet. Chicken feet is a good guess and in fact, Grandpa told us they were chicken feet but the package says in English on the back: pot-stewed duck paws. And if you play with the feet (still inside the package of course) and look closely, they are clearly webbed like a duck's. The description on the back reads:
Fresh duck paws are used as raw material and stewed with spice and bittern through the cooking of Sichuan dish. It is good in color, smell and taste. With tasty flavor and tender quality, it is a good leisure food for the old and the young.
Ingredients: duck paws, refined salt, rock candy, white granulated sugar, gourmet powder, flavoring, sodium nitrite, sorbic acid, trace amounts of bird flu.
OK, so I added that last part about the bird flu. But let me tell ya, these suckers feel SLIMY. No way, no how, am I opening this package! Incidentally, this company has a website if you are interested in any of their other "delicacies". They make more than just candied duck feet!
We are off to the "shore" for the holiday weekend so I am busy packing and trying to remember everything that I will eventually forget to bring with us. We are renting a beachfront condo that is furnished but we have to bring linens, toilet paper, etc. I'm making a nice list for Dave so that I can blame him if I forget anything! Nice, huh. Happy 4th of July everybody! Here's a fun activity for the kids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow! I can't believe your vacation is already here. I hope you have a wonderful time. Take lots of pictures so we can all feel like we were there with you! I have to pack linens and towels etc. for ours coming up as well. I sometimes make Nathan make a list of things we will need. He thinks of things that I don't. Between our two lists, we do pretty well.
I am so far behind. The duck legs, not nice. Have fun this weekend.
Have a great vacation! We are headed to Mexico to see Nick's old mission area...should be quite the adventure. After hiring Yaki sitters and lawn and garden sitters, we're almost too broke to go on vacation! We'll send a postcard.
Post a Comment