Thursday, June 19, 2008

Take a guess!!!



















OK, now everybody play along...

I noticed on our milk containers that they say "Sell by" and then give a date. For example, our current gallon of milk reads,

"Sell by July 1".

And then underneath that it says

"in NYC sell by June 26".

What?!?! Does it spoil 5 days earlier in NYC? I don't know the reason for this phenomena but it's keeping me up at night, I tell you, keeping me UP all night long tossing and turning and worrying that my milk might actually be already spoiled and so on.
OK, not really, but I AM curious and I'm going to figure this out. In the meantime, take a guess as to why it's labeled like this and I'll reveal the answer soon!

3 comments:

GumbyandPokey said...

I'm going to guess that for some reason (completely unknown to me) there is an ordinance in the city that requires milk to sit on the shelf for a shorter period of time. Not a very exciting guess!

Very strange!

Cindi

Steph said...

Maybe because it sits unrefrigerated longer than anywhere else. With a city that large I'm guessing that it takes WAYYYY longer to deliver milk than other cities.

Deanne said...

That's what I was thinking. Something about the refrigeration or lack there of. Or maybe it has to do with a prolonged delivery period? Where is the nearest cow farm to NYC?...